House of Cards

have an ace up one's sleeve

Cards in the USA is big business; In March 2018 I was approached by an American client, who sought to make a set of caricatures from player avatars set to be included in a website and app for the Eastern Poker Tour company in the USA. The idea was to have a set of twenty avatars. Ten were to be based on staff and past winners of poker tournaments and ten were to be fantasy figures that were created from common aspects of the poker theatre.

cards

Cards in the USA is big business; In March 2018 I was approached by an American client, who sought to make a set of caricatures from player avatars set to be included in a website and app for the Eastern Poker Tour company in the USA. The idea was to have a set of twenty avatars. Ten were to be based on staff and past winners of poker tournaments and ten were to be fantasy figures that were created from common aspects of the poker theatre.

THE BRIEF

Create avatar caricatures of twenty given players (whether real or fantasy) in the style of the Celebrity Sunday series format that has been created. The avatars need to all be in a set format to allow placement in the website and app formats, and also be presented in two versions of the player; one armless and one with cards in their hands.

DETAILS

  • Client: Glenn McCrory
  • Illustration Tool: Photoshop CC 2018
  • File size: 393.5Mbs/1.33Gbs (open)
  • Layers: 23 uncompressed (average)
  • Dimensions: 10000 x 10000px/300dpi
  • Hours (Preparitory): 0.5 hrs
  • Digital rendering: 6-8 hrs (average)

The process to get the artwork complete was a basic three step process. I tried to generate a roughish style that could be applied quickly, but have detail. This was also helped, as each piece was set at 10000px width, so when reduced it forced the detail into the smaller image. As in this example of Ebony Kenney, the client sent a set of reference images. From the best version I created a sketch of the caricature. Once I was happy with the sketch this was scanned in, and placed in a document in Photoshop at the correct dpi and px ratio. The ‘armless’ version was painted first, and once that was completed and looking good then I added an extended element to all of them with a arm section, holding cards, and with a pile of chips in front of them. The idea was that it could be utilise inside the site/app in whatever way they required.

As with most illustrations that require some amount of referencing, these avatars placed some challenges on the process. Mainly, you don’t get resource photos in good quality, or at the right angle for the delivery of the caricature in the required pose. Or, the reference images are not all at the correct lighting, and resolution that would define a good quality reference image. Nonetheless, the images were all comprised of either a given photograph of the known players, or comprised of several images found as referencing material.

The process to get the artwork complete was a basic three step process. I tried to generate a roughish style that could be applied quickly, but have detail. This was also helped, as each piece was set at 10000px width, so when reduced it forced the detail into the smaller image. As in this example of Ebony Kenney, the client sent a set of reference images. From the best version I created a sketch of the caricature. Once I was happy with the sketch this was scanned in, and placed in a document in Photoshop at the correct dpi and px ratio. The ‘armless’ version was painted first, and once that was completed and looking good then I added an extended element to all of them with a arm section, holding cards, and with a pile of chips in front of them. The idea was that it could be utilise inside the site/app in whatever way they required.

 

As with most illustrations that require some amount of referencing, these avatars placed some challenges on the process. Mainly, you don’t get resource photos in good quality, or at the right angle for the delivery of the caricature in the required pose. Or, the reference images are not all at the correct lighting, and resolution that would define a good quality reference image. Nonetheless, the images were all comprised of either a given photograph of the known players, or comprised of several images found as referencing material.

 

As stated before, due to the budget of the project, the style of the avatars was restricted from the more detailed versions that are typically applied. The close-ups here show that the brush strokes are more free and quicker. This was also due to the fact that there was a time related deadline to the project that meant the style was made more simplistic.

If interested in any of my caricature or animal art, please visit my online store for details. If you are interested in commissioning me to do similar work, you can check out my Fiverr Pro account or contact me via this form.

all work copyright © Rob Art | illustration 2021
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on email
Email
rob art | illustration
Eco Friendly Tee Shirts (2 colours)
Sweatshirts (7 colours)
Mug (front and back)
Cushion (front and back)
Canvas Prints (5 sizes)
Previous
Next
8in x 10in Horizontal
This translates as 20.32 x 25.4cm
8in x 10in Vertical
This translates as 20.32 x 25.4cm
12in x 16in Horizontal
This translates as 30.48 x 40.64cm.
12in x 16in Vertical
This translates as 30.48 x 40.64cm.
12in x 18in Horizontal
This translates as 30.48 x 45.72cm.
12in x 18in Vertical
This translates as 30.48 x 45.72cm.
16in x 20in Horizontal
This translates as 40.64 x 50.8cm.
16in x 20in Vertical
This translates as 40.64 x 50.8cm.
18x24in Horizontal
This translates as 45.72 x 60.96cm.
18x24in Vertical
This translates as 45.72 x 60.96cm.
24x36in Horizontal
This translates as 60.96 x 91.44cm.
24x36in Vertical
This translates as 60.96 x 91.44cm.
Previous
Next
X